What is the Good News, the Gospel?
The message of the gospel answers the question, How can I know God? The gospel is the means through which you can personally know God. It is only through Jesus that we can have a relationship with God.
As Creator and Ruler of all, God desires and deserves all of our love and obedience. Worthy are you, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they existed and were created. Revelation 4:11 God created all of humanity to have a relationship with Him. Humanity is not, cannot and will not be satisfied apart from a right relationship with God. He has made everything beautiful in its time. Also, he has put eternity into man’s heart, yet so that he cannot find out what God has done from the beginning to the end. Ecclesiastes 3:11
However, there is a problem.
- Instead of loving and obeying God, each of us has turned to his own sinful way. Every single human being that has ever lived has attempted to live intependently from God and make life work their own way, attempting to find joy and satisfaction in everything but God. All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned– every one– to his own way; and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all. Isaiah 53:6
- Instead of leading us to a better life, our sinful choices lead to physical and ultimately, spiritual death. Because of our sin, we all rightly deserve punishment which is death and seperation from God. For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 6:23
But, there is a solution.
- The Gospel is the Good News that there is hope! God sent His Son, Jesus, into the world to live among us and ultimately to die, as a sacrifice, in our place. His death on the cross and suffering the very punishment and judgment that we deserve for our sins is the means by which we can be reconciled to God. In his death our sins are laid on him. But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8 By his death Jesus purchased us back from our sins! We are freed from penalty of our sin and from the tyranny (power) of sin in our lives.
- Jesus Christ rose from the dead bodily after three days. God now commands every one of us to turn from our sins to God, through Jesus. When we turn to Jesus in faith, believing that he alone can rescue us from our sin and reconcile us to God, our sins are laid on him and we are viewed and treated as if we had never sinned by God, which is called justification. Jesus took our sins on himself so that we could enjoy adoption as children of God.
- One day God will judge everyone that has ever lived. Those who continue to reject Him face certain and everlasting separation from God. Only those who have accepted the free gift of eternal life by trusting in Jesus alone will be saved from eternal punishement. The times of ignorance God overlooked, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent, because he has fixed a day on which he will judge the world in righteousness by a man whom he has appointed; and of this he has given assurance to all by raising him from the dead. Acts 17:30-31
Here is the offer God makes to each one of us.
- God promises that if you will confess that you are a sinner, that Jesus is God, that he died in your place for your sins, that he rose from the dead and that he alone is Lord that you will be saved. Today, you can be rescued from your sin by calling out in faith to Jesus alone for salvation. For everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved. Romans 10:13
You can call out to Jesus today to forgive you of your sins and be your Savior! You do not need to be in a church or go through anyone to call out to Jesus today and be freed from your sin. Because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved. Romans 10:9-10